The secret ingredient in these healthy fudge pops cannot be detected by even your pickiest eaters! Packed with vitamins, protein and healthy fats, avocados are a nutritional powerhouse. They replace heavy cream in this recipe to add a silky and pudding-like texture to the fudge pops. However, the delicious dark chocolate flavor will be all anyone can taste. Serves 10.
1-1/2 cups of 2 percent milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (semi-sweet or milk chocolate can be substituted)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
1. In a medium saucepan, bring milk, sugar and cocoa powder just to a boil over medium heat, whisking continuously.
2. Once the mixture begins to boil, remove it from the heat and stir in chocolate chips and vanilla until melted and smooth.
3. Strain liquid over a medium bowl with a fine mesh sieve and allow to cool to room temperature (about 20-30 minutes).
4. Once cooled, add avocados and chocolate mixture to a blender and process until very smooth. No chunks of avocado should remain and the mixture should have a pudding-like consistency.
5. Pour into ice pop molds, leaving about 1/2 inch from the top empty, as ice pops will expand when frozen.
6. Cover, place wooden sticks about 2/3 of the way in and place in a freezer for 12 hours.
7. To remove ice pops from plastic mold, cover 2/3 up in a bath of warm water in the sink for about 20-30 seconds until you can loosen and pull them up with the sticks. Individual pops can be frozen in zipper bags until ready to serve.