Wear Your Heart
Cozy Friedman, owner of Cozy’s Cuts for Kids in New York City is also the author of Cozy’s Complete Guide to Girls Hair (Artisan, 2011), an all-encompassing hair book for kids and their parents. Try one of the looks Friedman’s book features – an adorable “heart braid” – it’s a must-have look for Valentine’s Day!
What You’ll Need: Wide-tooth comb, fine-tooth comb, hair clip, ponytail holders
Time: 15 minutes
- Step 1: Starting with damp hair (either towel-dried or misted), use a wide-tooth comb to detangle the hair. Then, using a fine-tooth comb, part hair down the middle of the head. Clip one side up right above the ear.
- Step 2: On the other side of the part, use the fine comb to gather a thin section of hair from the crown. This section should measure about two inches from the hairline to the top of the head.
- Step 3: Divide this section into three, and begin a French braid starting at the crown and curving toward the temple, then toward the back of the head, like the top lobe of a heart. You will be lifting hair into the braid only from this side of the part. Leave no loose hair in front of the ears.
- Step 4: When you reach the center part at the back of the head, secure the braid with a ponytail holder. If the hair is very long, end the braid about mid-ear; the ends will hang down the back.
- Step 5: Unclip the hair on the other side of the part and repeat the process. Secure with a ponytail holder.
- Step 6: Join the ends of the braids together in the back with a ponytail holder to form the bottom point of the heart.