5 Holiday Hazards & Safety Tips

The hustle and bustle of the holidays can be distracting. Make sure you keep home and child safety in mind this season.

Safe Kids Worldwide (safekids.org), a national organization dedicated to protecting kids from unintentional injury, reminds parents to:

1. Hang breakable ornaments at the top of your tree. Hung high they’re out of little ones reach and there’s room for kids to place non-breakable ornaments on the bottom portion of the tree.

2. Keep harmful plants out of reach. Some seasonal holiday plants are poisonous or harmful to children and pets. Mistletoe, holly berries, and poinsettias can be harmful. In case of ingestion contact the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222.

3. Beware of button batteries. Button batteries can be found in numerous holiday items including, greeting cards, small remote controls, and LED illuminated holiday candles. Button batteries look like candy or coins to youngsters and can cause serious injury if swallowed.

4. Put a protective screen in front of your gas fireplace. The glass doors on the front of gas fireplaces have been known to cause serious burns if a child touches them. Place a protective screen in front of the doors for safety.

5. Keep candles and matches out of reach. Lit candles should be at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn. Be sure to store all matches and lighters out of children’s sight and reach.

>